The romantic ruins of a once-royal castle overlooking the Essex marshes. Hadleigh was begun in about 1230 by Hubert de Burgh, but extensively refortified as a strong royal residence in 1360-70 by Edward III. The barbican and the two striking eastern drum towers - one seemingly used by Georgian revenue men looking out for smugglers - are his work. Recent archaeological research has also discovered evidence of Roman activity here.
Dogs on leads are welcome - contact site for any restrictions. Assistance dogs are welcome everywhere.